Ex-transport minister: Check contents of AES contract before pointing finger

PETALING JAYA: Former transport minister Kong Cho Ha today suggested that the Road Transport Department (JPJ) relook at the Automated Enforcement System (AES) agreement which he signed in 2012 despite it being allegedly “lop-sided”.

Kong said JPJ should check who approved the contents of the agreement and how it originated.

“This (review) is necessary. Until that is done, whatever I say now will be incomplete,” he said.

“It may only amount to 5%. The rest, 95%, is not said,” he added when contacted by FMT today.

Current Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook said yesterday that Kong signed the agreement in 2012 when the then MCA leader headed the ministry.

Last week, Loke said the JPJ would take over the operation of the AES when the contract of the two companies operating the concession, ATES Sdn Bhd and Beta Tegap Sdn Bhd, expires end of this month.

He also announced that all 3.1 million outstanding AES summonses with a value of RM435 million would be written off.

Loke said the two concessionaires made RM129 million between 2012 and May this year while the government did not earn anything from it.