PUTRAJAYA: Twenty-three political secretaries to Cabinet ministers were sworn in today including Mohd Azhar Che Mat Dali, the aide of Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu who was said to be under investigation by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) over claims that he was a bankrupt.
Azhar made headlines last month following allegations that he had settled his debts of over RM800,000 through crowdfunding.
PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli said he had sighted several documents detailing payments of RM318,525, RM100,000, RM300,000 and RM100,800 made to the aide on May 30 and 31 this year. However, he questioned the explanation that the money had been raised through crowdfunding.
MACC was believed to be investigating the transactions which occurred soon after Mohamad, better known as Mat Sabu, took his oath of office.
In a statement to FMT today, Azhar thanked those who had stood by him during his difficulties.
“It’s over now and a new chapter has begun,” he said.
Others who took their oaths before Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad at Perdana Putra were:
1. Muhammad Zahid Md Arip (political secretary to the prime minister)
2. Mohamad Nuhairi Rahmat (prime minister)
3. Abu Bakar Yahya (prime minister)
4. Romli Ishak (deputy prime minister)
5. Mohd Nardin Awang (home minister)
6. Tony Pua (finance minister)
7. Mohd Nizam Morad (education minister)
8. Dahlan Maamor (transport minister)
9. Cheang Chee Khing (human resources minister)
10. Ahmad Sabki Yusof (agriculture and agro-based industry minister)
11. Mohamad Rahim Osman (entrepreneur development minister)
12. Saiful Izham Ramli (domestic trade and consumer affairs minister)
13. Zakaria Abdul Hamid (works minister)
14. Mohd Nazri Noh (foreign minister)
15. Alice Choo (primary industries minister)
16. Ee Chin Li (energy, science, technology, environment and climate change minister)
17. Abang Ahmad Kerdee Abang Masagus (minister in the Prime Minister’s Department – religion)
18. Martin Tomy @ Tommy (minister in the Prime Minister’s Department – law)
19. Pritchard Arthur Gumbaris (international trade and industry minister)
20. Abdul Kusen Hussen @ Mujahirin O K K PG Hussen (tourism, arts and culture minister)
21. Dr Syed Azman Syed Ahmad Nawawi (health minister)
22. Mohd Aizad Roslan (youth and sports minister)