High Court frees teens remanded over Cradle Fund CEO murder case

Family members and friends of the teens held at a protest over their treatment at the Petaling Jaya court complex recently.

SHAH ALAM: The High Court today ordered two teenagers who had been remanded in connection with the murder of the late Cradle Fund CEO Nazrin Hassan to be released.

The teenagers’ lawyer Hisyam Teh said High Court judge Justice Ab Karim Ab Rahman ruled that the order made by the magistrates’ court on Sunday was not justified.

“The judge ruled that the magistrate, in deciding the remand order, should have exercised a balance between the boys’ interest and police investigations,” Teh said.

Police had obtained a remand order on the boys from Sunday for seven days to facilitate the investigation into Nazrin’s death.

Meanwhile, Teh said the remand on Nazrin’s wife would end tomorrow.

The siblings, aged 14 and 17, were arrested on Saturday.

Nazrin’s wife was arrested on Sept 3 along with her former husband. The former husband, however, was released on the same day.

Family members and child rights group had on Monday protested at the Petaling Jaya Magistrate Court over the arrest of the teenage boys.

Activist Hartini Zainuddin from NGO Voice of the Children said the manner in which the boys were handcuffed and dressed in prison attire was against the United Nations’ code for the treatment of minors.