Telcos have till Sept 30 to submit proposals for new broadband packages

Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo.

KUALA LUMPUR: Telecommunications companies have until Sept 30 to submit proposals for new broadband packages to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), says Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo.

“I hope that after the proposals are submitted to MCMC, we can implement them and then broadband prices will drop and the speed will increase by the end of this year,” he said in a Twitter post yesterday.

According to Gobind, the proposals were initially supposed to be submitted before Aug 31. He added that there had been requests for the deadline to be extended by two years.

“We rejected these. The extension is only until Sept 30. This is because the sales and services tax was implemented on Sept 1, and there is a need to resolve certain issues such as prepaid reload cards first. No more extensions after this,” he said.

He added that he would hold a meeting with all telecommunications companies after Sept 30.