2 men jailed 3 years for planning attack on JB building

Court tells the two men to repent and be thankful that they were arrested before committing the planned crime or they would have faced the death penalty.

KUALA LUMPUR: Two men were each sentenced to three years’ jail by the High Court here today for planning to launch an armed attack on a building in Johor last year.

Judge Azman Abdullah handed down the sentence to Nik Muhamad Zaini Nik Hassan, 37, a technician, and Ismadi Md [email protected] Ismail, 30, a security guard, after they changed their plea to guilty when the case was brought for re-mention today.

Before passing the sentence, Azman advised the two accused to repent and be thankful that they were arrested before committing the planned crime, which might cause them to face a heavier penalty, including the death sentence.

“I hope you realise this. Once released from prison, give priority to your family, focus on your responsibility. Don’t go blaming the police or the court (for the arrest and conviction).

“Allah loves you, that’s why you were arrested (before committing the planned crime) because if you were arrested with the firearms, you may end up being sent to the gallows,” the judge said.

The court ordered both men to serve the sentence from the day of their arrests on Feb 27 this year.

On Aug 17, Nik Zaini and Ismadi initially pleaded not guilty to a charge of having the common intention of committing a terrorist act, that was to launch an armed attack on a building at No. 1, Jalan Abu Bakar, Johor Bahru, Johor, between Dec 11, 2017, and Jan 31, 2018.

The charge under Subsection 130JD(1) of the Penal Code, read together with Section 43 of the same Code, carries the maximum jail term of seven years and a fine, if convicted.

The court was told that the two men had planned to commit an armed attack on a building near Pantai Lido in Johor Bahru.

As part of their preparations, they had convened four meetings at three restaurants to discuss ways to acquire the firearms and to decide the actual target.

However, before they could execute the plan, they were arrested.

During investigations, they admitted to have planned the attack in support of the Islamic State militant group and claimed that the targeted building was a symbol of a group propagating a deviant ideology.

Deputy public prosecutor Noor Syazwani Mohamad Sobry prosecuted, while the two accused were represented by lawyer Sukhaimi Mashud.