KUALA LUMPUR: Family members of 10 students killed in last year’s tahfiz school fire in Kampung Datuk Keramat have yet to reach a settlement in their suit against the school and the government.
Lawyer Ahmad Zahiril Muhayar, who is representing the headmaster of Darul Quran Ittifaqiyah, said the parties were still negotiating a settlement.
“I have to admit it is not easy to settle,” he said.
Family members are suing the headmaster and his wife, two boys who are accused of murder, as well as Federal Territories Islamic Religious Department (Maiwp) in June, for alleged negligence over the incident last year which killed 23 people, mostly students.
The suit will be heard on May 17 next year if the parties involved still could not come to a settlement.
The victims’ families are seeking a declaration that they are entitled to receive money donated by the public to the school in the aftermath of the tragedy.
They also accuse school authorities of negligence in fire safety measures.
Two 17-year-old boys named in the suit have been charged with murder.
It was reported that the school collected about RM1 million in donations after the incident.
Its headmaster Zahid Mahmood had said the school would distribute the money to the next-of-kins, but family members said they had never received any money.