SEREMBAN: The Special Election Court here today set Oct 10 for a decision on whether to continue with the contempt of court proceedings involving one of the witnesses in the election petition hearing filed by Dr S Streram.
The PKR candidate wants to nullify the Election Commission’s decision for the Rantau state seat in the 14th general election (GE14).
The court fixed the date for the decision after one of the EC witnesses told the court that he received a WhatsApp message that could be considered a contempt of court from one of the witnesses who had already testified.
The Election Commission had declared former Negeri Sembilan menteri besar Mohamad Hasan as the winner of the Rantau state seat.
The hearing concluded today after 17 witnesses had testified.
The 12-day proceedings involved seven witnesses for the petitioner, seven for the Election Commission and three for Umno deputy president Mohamad Hasan.
Streram’s lawyer Mohamed Haniff Katri Abdullah said the election petition hearing for all parties had been completed and no more witnesses would be called.
Streram, in his petition, named Mohamad as the first respondent; returning officer Amino Agus Suyub as the second respondent and the EC as the third respondent.