I had no choice but to talk about sodomy case, says Saiful

Port Dickson independent candidate Saiful Bukhari Azlan says he did not raise the sodomy issue on his campaign trail. (Bernama pic)

PETALING JAYA: Port Dickson independent candidate Saiful Bukhari Azlan has clarified that he was merely replying to a question about his sodomy accusation against his former “boss” Anwar Ibrahim and had not raised the subject himself.

Saiful said he was asked about it during a question-and-answer session with residents in Kampung Teluk Pelanduk last night.

“Someone asked me about it, and so I had no choice. I had to answer it,” he told FMT, adding that he would upload the video of his “ceramah” later.

Saiful had previously said that he would not raise the sodomy case during his campaign in the by-election.

He had told the audience in Kampung Teluk Pelanduk that he had sworn three times to prove that his accusation against the PKR president-elect was true.

He said this after a woman, who declined to be named, asked him if the sodomy allegation was true.

In March 2014, the Court of Appeal overturned Anwar’s acquittal for sodomising Saiful, his former aide.

The decision was reaffirmed by the Federal Court on Feb 10, 2015, which sentenced Anwar to five years’ jail.

On May 16, Anwar was granted a royal pardon by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.