ALOR SETAR: The Kedah state government today denied a message that has gone viral on social media stating that Kedah Menteri Besar Mukhriz Mahathir will take over from Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin, who has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
State Youth and Sports, Tourism and Culture, and Entrepreneurial Development Committee chairman Mohd Asmirul Anuar Aris said as of now, the state government led by Mukhriz was functioning as usual without any problems.
“It is all just a rumour… This has happened before and is normal in politics, but so far there are no changes in the state government administration.
“What is important is that the present menteri besar (Mukhriz) is with the state government and his father, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, is with the federal government.
“So, that makes it easy to carry out development work in the state,” he said when met at the state-level National Sports Day programme here today.
Meanwhile, the menteri besar’s press officer, Mohd Fisol Jaafar, said the message, which went viral on Thursday, was slanderous, false and mischievous.
“The message is false and slanderous. PPBM has also issued a statement and denied the claims on its official Facebook account, with a photo with the word ‘Fitnah’ (slander),” he said.
According to the message, Sungai Petani MP and Gurun state assemblyman Johari Abdul will take over from Mukhriz as Kedah menteri besar and Muhyiddin will relinquish his post due to health reasons.