KUALA LUMPUR: Anwar Ibrahim has denied breaking election rules in the run-up to the Port Dickson polls held earlier this month, as claimed by Bersih 2.0.
The electoral watchdog had last week said the PKR president-elect had committed six out of the 10 offences it recorded.
This included receiving special treatment when appearing at an event for army veterans, launching a free online tuition portal and campaigning at a concert and two dinners.
However, Anwar said he took note of Bersih’s report and welcomed the criticisms.
“But we need to take into account the specifics. I was invited to M Nasir’s concert, so I don’t see how I was in the wrong. Plus I only attended it for a while as I had to rush off to another function.
“You would need to ask the organisers why the other candidates were not invited,” he said outside the Dewan Rakyat.
Anwar, who was elected as the Port Dickson MP in a seven-cornered fight, also said he did not even eat at a dinner which was sponsored by over 10 NGOs.
When asked if he was shocked to hear the allegations Bersih had levelled against him, Anwar said it was merely the coalition’s view.
“They made several observations and I think we should look into them.”
On Friday, Bersih revealed that Pakatan Harapan (PH) committed the highest number of election offences during the Port Dickson by-election.
Its executive director Yap Swee Seng said this was followed by PAS.