Ex-Utusan journo fails in bid to challenge sacking

Former Utusan Malaysia journalist Amran Ahmad Nor. (Youtube pic)

KUALA LUMPUR: Former Utusan Malaysia journalist Amran Ahmad Nor, who was dismissed in 2009 for allegedly making defamatory statements against the publication over the purported abuse of funds, failed in his bid today to challenge his sacking.

High Court judge Azizah Nawawi dismissed his judicial review application to quash the decision by the Industrial Court that he had been correctly dismissed.

“The Industrial Court made a finding of fact that defaming the company is a form of misconduct which warrants dismissal,” she said.

Amran was also ordered to pay Utusan Malaysia RM3,000 in costs.

Amran filed his judicial review in January to challenge his sacking by Utusan Malaysia.

He sought a High Court order to quash the Industrial Court’s decision, delivered on Oct 20 last year, claiming it was made without just cause.

He also sought to be reinstated to his former position without loss of seniority, or to be paid compensation deemed fit by the court.

The Industrial Court ruled that he had issued statements published by Malaysiakini and Harakah Daily in 2009 that were false and had defamed his former company.

He also reported his employer to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission, alleging that the company had performed suspicious monetary transactions which he said was used as basis for his termination.

Amran was also sacked as a DAP member after criticising the party before the May 9 polls. He alleged that DAP had used “malicious and defamatory propaganda” against Barisan Nasional while campaigning.