No more clamping of cars in KL from Nov 1, confirms FT minister

FT Minister Khalid Samad says the company contracted by City Hall had a quota to clamp 1,000 vehicles a month. (Bernama pic)

KUALA LUMPUR: Federal Territories Minister Khalid Samad has confirmed that no vehicles in the city would be clamped from Nov 1.

He said the government has stopped operations of the company hired by the previous government to clamp cars.

“They had a quota to clamp 1,000 vehicles a month and would chase for their quota. They looked for reasons to clamp,” he said during his ministerial wrap-up of the mid-term review of the 11th Malaysia Plan at the Dewan Rakyat today.

“We may have to pay compensation for stopping midway because of the agreement with them,” he said, adding these were some of the problems inherited from the previous government.

He was replying to a question by Fahmi Fadzil (PH-Lembah Pantai), who had said a lot of projects in the city had been privatised and some of these projects had been given to cronies.

He also highlighted the main problems in the city — traffic jams, flash floods, cleanliness and low-cost housing.

He said the government hoped to reduce flash floods with proper planning and good infrastructure when any project came up.

He said the government hoped to boost public transport ridership to 35% in 2023, with the completion of the MRT and LRT3 projects. Now, it is only 20%.

He said City Hall would also increase the frequency of the GoKL buses which offer free rides in the city centre and take over the service from the transport ministry.

On low-cost housing, he said an audit would be carried out to ensure only the deserving and those from poor families stayed at these homes.