Ministry: Priority for locals to teach in Sarawak

Education Minister Maszlee Malik calls teachers from the peninsula serving in the interior of Sarawak for decades as ‘superheroes’ for their sacrifices.

KUALA LUMPUR: Teachers who are born and “with local addresses” in Sarawak will be given priority to teach in the state, said Education Minister Maszlee Malik.

Maszlee said the teacher placements were in accordance with its 90:10 policy, where 90% were local teachers while the remaining 10% were teachers from other places.

“However, the ministry is implementing the deployment of new teachers based on vacancies and the necessary options after receiving a new batch of teachers recommended for appointment by the Education Service Commission (SPP),” he said when winding up the 11th Malaysia Plan (11MP) Mid-Term Review today.

Maszlee said in order to safeguard the welfare of teachers serving in the interior, the government had allocated a special location and hardship allowance of between RM500 and RM1,500.

The schools were ranked by the state Education Department according to categories and how “rural” they were.

“For schools in category one, teachers will receive an allowance of RM500, while those in category two and three (in the interior), will receive an allowance of RM1,000 and RM1,500 respectively.

“There are also teachers in rural schools who receive inland incentive payments, which is 10% of their monthly salaries, based on the areas accredited by the State Secretary’s Office.

“Eligible teachers are also paid a full housing allowance if the quarters they occupy do not meet the criteria set by the Property Management Division of the Prime Minister’s Department,” he said.

Maszlee said the sacrifices of teachers, especially those from the peninsula, who taught in the interior of Sabah and Sarawak, should be appreciated by all parties.

He added that during his visit to Bintulu recently, he had met teachers from the peninsula who had been serving in schools in the area for between 10 and 20 years while some had even served for close to three decades.

“I congratulate these teachers who are willing to sacrifice and have lived away from their families.

“These are the teachers who are the real ‘Adiwira’ (superheroes),” he said.