Education ministry refutes claim students not fed for 14 days

The education ministry says it will not compromise on the quality of food served to students at Sekolah Seri Puteri. (Facebook pic)

PUTRAJAYA: The education ministry has denied an allegation which went viral on social media that students from Sekolah Seri Puteri in Cyberjaya were not provided meals for 14 days because of the forced takeover of the residential school’s kitchens by the health ministry.

The ministry said the Selangor education department had appointed a temporary contractor to provide meals for the students from Jan 10 for the duration of the takeover.

This was to ensure that meals were available for the 850 students staying at the hostel, it said.

The health ministry had cited cleanliness issues for its takeover of the kitchens.

In a statement today, the education ministry said that the school’s food supplier was issued a warning by its Fully Residential and Excellent Schools Management Division for not completing its clean-up and improvement works despite being given ample time to do so.

The ministry said it was mulling action for the benefit of the students.

It said the school had been advised to monitor its food quality to ensure that it met the standards set by the ministry.

It also said it would fully cooperate with the health ministry to make sure the hostel’s kitchens and dining halls were always clean.

“We will not compromise on the quality of school meals,” it added.