Education ministry denies presence of ‘DAP de facto team’ to hijack history subjects

The education ministry says it trusts the wisdom and integrity of the History and Textbooks Curriculum Expert Reference Panel and its panellists. (Facebook pic)

PUTRAJAYA: The education ministry views seriously claims on social media that there is a “DAP de facto team” in the ministry which wants to hijack or change the history subjects of primary and secondary schools.

The ministry, in a statement today, said it was a recycled, wild and slanderous accusation despite it having been clarified and refuted by Deputy Education Minister Teo Nie Ching on Dec 23, 2018.

“The national curriculum, including history, will continue to be maintained, except if there is a new proposal or suggestion from the National Education Advisory Council (NEAC) and National Education Policy Review Committee (NEPRC),” the ministry said.

It said NEAC and NEPRC were conducting studies and seeking input from numerous stakeholders on the suggestions and proposals towards a comprehensive improvement of the Malaysian education.

The ministry said a review of the Primary School Standard Curriculum (PSSC) had started in 2017, before the 14th general election, to improve the existing curriculum for all subjects.

According to the ministry, the appointment of the History and Textbook Curriculum Reference Panel for the second session was done in 2017 and the Secondary School Standard Curriculum (SSSC) history textbooks for Forms 1, 2 and 3 had been reviewed, scrutinised and confirmed from 2017.

The PSSC history textbook (2017 Review) for Year 4 and the SSSC history textbook for Form 4 were being published.

The ministry said it trusted the wisdom and integrity of the History and Textbooks Curriculum Expert Reference Panel and its panellists, who were professionals, in making the right decision regarding the formulation and improvement of the History subject curriculum, without the influence of any party.

The curriculum and textbooks, including for History, would be reviewed again based on views and final reports from NEAC and NEPRC, added the statement.

Hence, the ministry added, the existing education system and policies are still being maintained.

It said what was made viral on social media were baseless allegations aimed at tarnishing the image of the ministry.