Report on drowning of 6 firemen in Puchong to be tabled to Cabinet on Feb 27

The six divers died while involved in a search-and-rescue operation for a teenager who fell into a disused mining pool in Puchong while fishing. (File pic)

PUTRAJAYA: A report by the committee investigating the drowning of six firefighters in a disused mining pool in Taman Putra Perdana, Puchong, on Oct 3 last year, will be tabled to the Cabinet this Feb 27.

Housing and Local Government Minister Zuraida Kamaruddin said the report was handed over to her yesterday.

Improvements will be announced after the report is tabled to the Cabinet, she said in a statement today.

According to Zuraida, the Cabinet had on Nov 16 last year agreed to set up a committee to investigate and identify the actual cause of the incident leading to the death of firefighters and to recommend measures to prevent such incidents in future.

She said the death of six firefighters, who were divers from the Fire and Rescue Department’s Underwater Rescue Unit (PPDA), was the first in the department’s history.

Four of the firefighters who drowned were from the Port Klang fire and rescue station. They were Mohd Fatah Hashim, 34; Izatul Akma Wan Ibrahim, 32; Mazlan Omarbaki, 25, and Yahya Ali, 24.

The other two victims were Adnan Othman, 33, and Muhammad Hifdzul Malik Shaari, 25, who were part of the PPDA team from the Shah Alam fire and rescue station.

The incident occurred when they were conducting a search-and-rescue operation for a teenager who fell into the pool while fishing.