Seafield temple task force wants Adib’s inquest suspended

The Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman temple task force and devotees say their appeal will be meaningless if Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim’s inquest continues.

PETALING JAYA: The Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman temple task force has filed an application to suspend the on-going inquest into the death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim.

Lawyer M Visvanathan said the task force wanted the inquiry to be adjourned pending the disposal of an appeal against the decision of the High Court refusing them an “interested party” status to take part in the inquest.

“We filed the stay application in the Court of Appeal yesterday and have served it to the Attorney-General’s Chambers and lawyers acting for other interested parties,” he said.

Visvanathan said the stay application was accompanied by a certificate of urgency.

He said his client’s appeal would be meaningless if the inquest before coroner Rofiah Mohamad were to continue.

So far, six of the 30 witnesses have given evidence.

On Feb 8, High Court judge Abd Karim Abd Rahman dismissed an application by the task force and devotees to take part in the inquest, as both applicants had “no nexus” to the incident to be made interested parties.

On Jan 31, Rofiah turned down the applications by the task force and devotees to take part in the inquest as there were no “substantive, genuine and reasonable grounds” to make them interested parties.

The Bar Council, Adib’s family, the housing and local government ministry and the Fire Services Department have been given the green light to assist in the inquest.

Adib, 24, was severely injured during the violence at the Sri Maha Mariamman temple in USJ 25 on Nov 27. He had been part of the response team sent from the Subang Jaya fire and rescue station.

He died at the National Heart Institute three weeks later.