PETALING JAYA: The Cabinet has agreed to give permission for the Kinrara Oval cricket ground to remain in its original site near Bandar Kinrara, Puchong, following months of uncertainty over the fate of the iconic training ground which had been slated for closure and redevelopment.
Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman said the decision followed discussions between his ministry and the relevant parties, including the landowner Kinrara Housing Bhd (PKB).
“The period of extension for operations will be discussed with the youth and sports ministry, PKB and the Malaysian Cricket Association (MCA),” he said in a statement today.
Kinrara Oval, located a stone’s throw from the BK5 LRT station, has hosted several international cricket tournaments including the DLF Trophy involving Australia, India and West Indies, and the 2008 Under-19 Cricket World Cup since opening its doors in 2003.
It is also lauded by the international cricket community for its upkeep and state-of-the-art field.
The land was leased to MCA in 2004 for 15 years ending Oct 31, 2018.
The field, which was a popular recreational ground for Kinrara residents before the cricket ground was built, was expected to make way for a shopping complex and condominium project.