Decision on closure of Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman before March 15

City Hall intends to turn Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, from Jalan Esfahan to Jalan Melayu, into a pedestrian mall.

KUALA LUMPUR: A decision on the planned closure of Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (TAR) will be announced before March 15, Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad said today.

He said the decision will be based on the feedback from the stakeholders, especially hawkers and traders, operating from Jalan Esfahan to Jalan Melayu, the stretch that will be affected by the closure.

“We are still in discussions to arrive at a win-win situation.

“Nevertheless, we will make known the outcome at the latest a week before March 15 (when the partial closure is to be implemented),” he told reporters after taking part in a walkabout and meeting traders in the area today.

Khalid said many things had to be considered before arriving at a decision due to the changes taking place and the fact that many of the traders had been operating there for decades.

He also said public feedback, through an online survey by Kuala Lumpur City Hall, would also be taken into consideration before arriving at a decision.

“We have received all kinds of feedback, and among them was closing the stretch to traffic for certain hours or on specific days.

“However, priority will be given to the feedback from the traders and hawkers because they have been there for a long time,” he said.

Meanwhile, Kuala Lumpur mayor Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan said 2,400 respondents had taken part in the online survey so far.