Musa’s defence team in bid to transfer corruption case to High Court

Former Sabah chief minister Musa Aman.

KUALA LUMPUR: The defence team of former Sabah chief minister Musa Aman, who is facing 35 counts of corruption involving US$63.3 million (RM263 million) in connection with timber concession contracts in the state, has filed an application to transfer his case to the High Court.

Lawyer Francis Ng told High Court judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan that the defence had filed the application today.

However, deputy public prosecutor Raja Rozela Raja Toran said the prosecution had yet to decide whether to agree with the application as they would need time to look into it.

Zaini then set March 5 for case management.

Musa was charged at the Sessions Court on Nov 5 last year with 35 counts of soliciting bribes totalling US$63,293,924 (RM263,460,962.313) from eight timber concession company owners.

He was alleged to have committed the offences at eight banks and financial institutions in Hong Kong and Singapore between Dec 20, 2004, and Nov 6, 2008.

If convicted, he could face maximum imprisonment of 20 years and a fine of not less than five times the amount of bribe involved or RM10,000, whichever is higher.