Semenyih by-election: 19 police reports lodged

Pakatan Harapan is one of the parties contesting in the March 2 Semenyih by-election. (Bernama pic)

SEMENYIH: Police received 19 reports and have begun investigations into three cases relating to the campaign for the Semenyih state by-election from Saturday until 5pm today.

Kajang district deputy police chief Mohd Sabri Abdullah said one of cases was in connection with holding a ceramah without a permit.

Fifty-one permits for campaign activities had been issued by the Kajang district police headquarters from nomination day last Saturday until yesterday, he said.

Thirty-two of the permits were for Pakatan Harapan (PH), 15 for Barisan Nasional (BN) and four for PSM, he said.

Sabri said the security situation in the constituency was under control.

He advised the parties contesting the by-election on March 2 to abide by the conditions in the Election Offences Act 1954.

The Semenyih by-election is a four-cornered contest among Muhammad Aiman Zainali of PH, Zakaria Hanafi of BN, Nik Aziz Afiq Abdul of PSM and independent candidate Kuan Chee Heng.

It is being held following the death of the PH assemblyman Bakhtiar Mohd Nor on Jan 11.