Ex-Goldman banker Roger Ng withdraws bail application dismissal appeal

Roger Ng

PUTRAJAYA: Former Goldman Sachs managing director Roger Ng today withdrew his appeal against the High Court’s dismissal of a bail application he had filed pending the hearing of his extradition proceedings.

Justices Kamardin Hashim, Rhodzariah Bujang and Mohamad Zabidin Mohd Diah struck off the appeal today.

Earlier, Ng Chong Hwa, 47, informed the court through his lawyer Tan Hock Chuan that he had waived the extradition proceedings in the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court on Feb 15 after an agreement was reached with the United States Department of Justice (DoJ).

Tan said Ng intended to defend the case on its merits at the Court for Eastern District of New York, US.

He also said his client wished to state on record his desire to honour his commitment and agreement with the DoJ and that was the reason behind his withdrawal of the appeal.

Deputy public prosecutor Nik Syahril Nik Ab Rahman did not object to the withdrawal of the appeal.

On Oct 23, last year, the prosecution received a request from the government of the United States for a provisional warrant of arrest against Ng.

Ng was detained on Nov 1 last year based on a warrant of arrest applied by the US government and was ordered to undergo a 60-day remand for the extradition proceedings after three charges were filed against him in a court in New York.

He was charged in absentia in a court in the US together with former Goldman Sachs executive Tim Leissner and fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low.

According to the charges, Jho Low and Ng had conspired to launder billions of dollars embezzled from 1MDB and had conspired to violate the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) by paying bribes to Malaysian and Abu Dhabi authorities.

On Feb 15, Ng reportedly agreed to be extradited to the US to face the three criminal charges relating to 1MDB. Ng is currently on remand under the Extradition Act 1992 (Act 476).