Plan for new clinic in Semenyih still on, says Dzulkefly

Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad.

PETALING JAYA: The proposed construction of a new health clinic in Semenyih will continue, says Health Minister Dzulkefly Ahmad.

He said even though the result of the Semenyih state by-election yesterday was not in Pakatan Harapan’s favour, the project needs to be implemented to ensure the residents in the area have access to good medical facilities.

“What our candidate for Semenyih by-election said recently was important as the existing clinics, both in Semenyih and Beranang towns, are often congested and can’t be expanded any more.

“I am confident we will be able to obtain the land and allocation from the state government to realise this project,” he told reporters after officiating the “Run for Rare” event here today.

However, he did not set the time for the construction of the clinic to commence.

Previously, PH candidate Muhammad Aiman Zainali was reported to have said that the construction of a hospital in Semenyih was part of his main agenda if he were to win the by-election as access to medical facilities was the most widely spoken issue by the local community.

However, on Feb 25, Dzulkefly proposed the construction of another health clinic as the existing two clinics in the Semenyih and Beranang towns could not be expanded due to constraints at these places.

He also said facilities at the Kajang Hospital, the nearest hospital for the Semenyih population, were also being upgraded.

Yesterday, the results of the Semenyih state by-election saw the Barisan Nasional candidate, Zakaria Hanafi, winning the four-cornered fight when he secured 19,780 votes.

Zakaria beat PH’s Aiman, who garnered 17,866 votes, Nik Aziz Afiq Abdul from PSM (847 votes) and independent Kuan Chee Heng with 725 votes.