PUTRAJAYA: Two more suspects being investigated over a land deal related to the Batu Caves temple have been released from Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) custody after posting bail, sources said.
A source familiar with the MACC investigation procedures said a 44- year old man, who is related to the temple chairman, was asked to post RM80,000 bail.
“Another suspect, who is a developer, was also freed after posting RM20,000 bail,” said the source.
Both were earlier today produced before magistrate Noraisyah Mohd Yusof before they were freed.
Yesterday, the 73-year-old wheelchair-bound temple chairman, with the Tan Sri title, was released from MACC custody on RM100,000 bail.
The source said suspects can be freed on bail under Section 49 of the MACC Act.
The three men, who were picked up on Monday, are being investigated for accepting bribes under Section 16 (a) (A) of the MACC Act.
The source said the three would be called to record a further statement if required.
On Monday, MACC officials raided the temple chairman’s home in Kota Damansara and chanced upon cash, jewellery and valuables amounting to about RM1 million.
Pictures of the raid, which showed MACC officers counting cash and inspecting jewellery and watches, have since been widely shared on social media.
They also searched the temple committee’s office in Batu Caves.
The source said the temple chairman had been under investigation since last year following a report by a religious organisation.
The raids were related to a tip-off received last year linked to the development of 4.5-acre plot along Jalan Kuching in Kuala Lumpur which was concluded between a developer and the temple committee in 2014.
The RM250-million project involved a mixed development that included serviced apartments, offices and retail outlets, and the agreed deal was that the temple would receive 25% of the sum from the developer.