Ex-Umno man rubbishes talk that PPBM rejected Salleh, Pandikar

Rumours have been circulating on social media that Salleh (left) and Pandikar’s membership applications had been rejected on the grounds that they had heavily criticised PPBM’s leaders in the past.

KOTA KINABALU: A former Sabah Umno leader has described rumours that PPBM has rejected the membership applications of two Sabah leaders as mere speculation.

Speaking to FMT here today, former Beaufort Umno chief Isnin Aliasnih said: “To say that the applications of former federal minister Salleh Said Keruak and former Parliament speaker Pandikar Amin Mulia to join PPBM have been rejected is empty talk.

“Even I don’t know about my application status because I have not been accepted into the party officially. We will only know for sure on Saturday during the launching of the party here.”

The Klias assemblyman said only eight from among the group of former Sabah Umno leaders had received membership cards so far and the names of others accepted would be announced during the launch. It did not mean that the other applicants had been rejected.

Rumours have been circulating on social media that the duo’s membership applications had been rejected on the grounds that they had heavily criticised PPBM’s leaders in the past.

However, their supporters find such an argument “petty” because most, if not all, of the other leaders in PH now had criticised PPBM leaders when these leaders were still with Umno.

Meanwhile, earlier today, the chairman of the committee responsible for the launching of Sabah PPBM, Hajiji Noor, said the committee was expecting at least 20,000 members and supporters to be present at the launch.

“Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who is also the PPBM chairman, is expected to arrive at 2.40pm for the ceremony. Other PPBM big guns expected to come include PPBM president Muhyiddin Yassin and deputy president Mukhriz Mahathir,” he said.

The ceremony will be held at the International Technology and Commercial Centre (ITCC) in Penampang, about 10km from here.

The centre’s ballroom can accommodate 4,000 people but the committee will pitch tents on the parking ground with connected CCTV to accommodate the expected huge crowd.

The committee has also invited leaders of Sabah political parties to attend the event.