SEREMBAN: The Barisan Nasional’s Rantau by-election candidate Mohamad Hasan today alleged that some people were out to smear his image and that of the BN by offering RM50 to those who agreed to vote for him in the coming by-election.
Mohamad, better known as “Tok Mat” said some people had been masquerading as hardcore BN supporters and calling voters, promising them the sum if they would cast their ballot for BN on April 13.
“I received calls from voters about this. I told them to lodge a police report as this is an attempt to sully BN’s image. We are not going to fish for votes this way. We don’t even serve food and beverages at our operations room,” he said at a press conference.
The former Negeri Sembilan menteri besar said he had asked the Election Commission to probe the matter and urged people to refrain from assuming that those responsible were from BN as the coalition didn’t employ such tactics.
On a separate matter, Mohamad urged the EC to investigate a claim that voters were served food at an event organised by Pakatan Harapan in Kuala Sawah, which was attended by PKR president Anwar Ibrahim
“The EC barred the BN from performing special prayers. So they must be fair in carrying out their duties. They cannot take sides.”
Anwar spoke at three events in Rantau two nights ago in support of Pakatan Harapan candidate Dr Streram Sinnasamy, where sandwiches, nasi lemak, curry puffs and drinks were served.
Electoral watchdog Bersih 2.0 has since chided Anwar, saying it was a breach of campaign laws. But the Port Dickson MP said he was not aware who had organised the food.
Mohamad is up against Dr Streram and two independents, Malar Rajaram and Mohd Nor Yassin.