SEREMBAN: Pakatan Harapan candidate Dr Streram Sinnasamy has denied allegations that his campaign director had been detained by the police in connection with provocative buntings, photographs of which were widely shared on social media.
Streram said his campaign director, lawyer U Karunesh, was with him when he met reporters while campaigning with PKR president Anwar Ibrahim for the Rantau by-election.
“He was never arrested, he is here with me,” he said, adding that he had lodged a police report and was leaving the matter to the authorities.
Karunesh said the allegations against him were attempts to bring him down as a businessman as well as a politician.
“My friends called asking what’s the problem, I deny the allegations, please don’t make slanderous allegations, practice healthy politics, want to contest, then do it well, if there is evidence, show it,” he said.
Seremban district deputy police chief Mohd Rosli Ishak when contacted by Bernama said no arrest had been made.
Anwar hoped that action will be taken against anyone found guilty regardless of whether he was a member of PH or the opposition.
He said the police should also reopen investigations into questions raised about a bank transfer of RM10 million made by Barisan Nasional candidate Mohamad Hasan in 2008. Mohamad, a three-term menteri besar of Negeri Sembilan, is acting Umno president.
Last night Negeri Sembilan Amanah chairman Zulkefly Mohamad Omar had questioned why no action was taken against Mohamad for transferring such a large sum of money through a money changer.
Mohamad has denied wrongdoing and said that he made the transfer to buy an apartment in London. He said it was up to the police and anti-corruption officers whether they wished to investigate the case.
The Rantau by-election is a four-cornered fight between Streram, Mohamad and two independent candidates, housewife R. Malarvizhi and former lecturer Mohd Nor Yassin. Polling takes place on Saturday (April 13).