PETALING JAYA: Lembaga Tabung Haji has rejected rumours of a rush at counters nationwide with depositors applying to close their accounts after last week’s announcement of the pilgrims fund’s lowest annual dividend yet.
“Our branches reported that there was nothing out of the ordinary. We are happy to note that our branches have also received fresh deposits.
“Any rumour to the contrary is not true,” said Tabung Haji CEO and group managing director Zukri Samat.
He said claims of abnormal withdrawals at Tabung Haji branches were false and that a police report would be lodged, adding that the rumour was to create uneasiness among depositors.
“TH would like to assure depositors that not only is their money safe, we are also committed to sustainable revenue generation to optimise returns for them, while focusing on our mandate of helping Muslims to save and prepare for their haj,” said Zukri.
On Friday, the fund announced a dividend of 1.25% amounting to RM913 million for the financial year 2018, a sharp drop from the 6.25% dividend paid out the previous year.
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Mujahid Yusof Rawa blamed the poor performance on governance and mismanagement issues in the past.
He also claimed that Tabung Haji accounts had been manipulated to distribute higher dividends in the past despite its growing deficit.