SEREMBAN: Barisan Nasional’s (BN) Mohamad Hasan today claimed that an event initially scheduled to distribute aid in conjunction with Aidilfitri was an attempt to buy votes.
Mohamad, BN’s candidate for the Rantau by-election, said the event was supposed to be attended by Pakatan Harapan leaders and representatives from the state government. However, it was cancelled after Umno lodged a police report, he added.
“If you look at the campaigns carried out by PH, you will find that they contravene election laws,” he said at a press conference here.
He said these included a free car wash as well as dinners attended by PKR president Anwar Ibrahim and other PH leaders.
The former Negeri Sembilan menteri besar, popularly known as Tok Mat, urged the Election Commission to take immediate action against those involved in such events.
A source told FMT that the event, slated to be held at a club in Bandar Sri Sendayan, was cancelled following complaints by Umno. About 100 people had been expected to attend.
The event organiser told members of the media that the event was scrapped, but offered no explanation except to say that it could be because of the by-election.
Mohamad took a swipe at the ruling coalition, saying it should not resort to breaking election rules even if it is desperate.
“I hope those appointed to monitor the election will stop such programmes as they are clearly against election rules.”
The four-way fight this Saturday will see Mohamad vying for the seat against PH’s Dr Streram Sinnasamy and independent candidates Malar Rajaram and Nor Yassin.