SEREMBAN: Pakatan Harapan’s Rantau by-election candidate Dr Streram Sinnasamy today defended Rafizi Ramli’s call for him to breach a police barricade on nomination day last year, following calls for police to probe the PKR vice-president over his remarks.
Streram said it was his “duty” to break through the barricade, adding that it was “the right thing to do” as he had proper nomination papers with him but was refused entry.
Streram, an anaesthetist, said on the day of the nomination, he was accompanied by his proposer and seconder.
“So, I don’t see anything wrong in Rafizi saying that,” he told reporters while campaigning in Kampung Kuala Sawah here.
Earlier today, Umno acting president Mohamad Hasan, who is seeking to retain his seat in the by-election on Saturday, urged police to investigate a claim by the PKR vice-president that he had instructed Streram to push through a police blockade on April 28 last year.
Mohamad, or Tok Mat, said that the matter should be probed to clear the police’s image, which had been tainted since the incident.
But Streram said police had already investigated everything, pointing out that even Inspector-General of Police Mohamad Fuzi Harun had testified when the case was brought up in the election court.
“So why the need for police to probe again?”
When asked what his initial reaction was to Rafizi’s call for him to breach the police barricade, Streram said: “I had no choice. It is not a question of who told me to do it.”
At a ceramah last night, Rafizi had admitted that he told Streram to push through the police barricade after the doctor was denied entry into the nomination centre.
The Election Commission’s decision to bar Streram from the nomination centre saw Barisan Nasional candidate Mohamad Hasan win the state seat unopposed in the May 9 general election last year.