Apad suspends licence of bus company in Sepang tragedy

A bus carrying 44 people plunged into a 4m deep monsoon drain near MASkargo Complex on April 7, killing 12. (Bernama pic)

PUTRAJAYA: The Land Public Transport Agency (Apad) today suspended the licence of a bus company for a week following an accident which claimed the lives of 12 people earlier this month.

In a statement, Apad said the suspension would be extended until the company, CJ Global Travel and Tours, fully complied with the Industry Code of Practice (ICOP) safety standard.

The suspension, it said, followed an ICOP audit conducted by the Road Transport Department (RTD) and the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (Miros) on April 9 which found that the company had failed to comply with the requirements.

“This is a violation of conditions stipulated under Section 22 and Section 41 of the Land Public Transport Act 2010,” the statement read.

Apad said the safety of passengers was of utmost importance and all land public transport operators should uphold the highest standard in managing their fleet.

“Apad will not tolerate any violations of safety practice. Operators found failing to adhere to the requirements of ICOP Safety could face action under the law, including the cancellation of the licence and permit of the operators.”

In the April 7 incident, a bus driver and eight workers were killed when a bus carrying 44 people plunged into a 4m deep monsoon drain near MASkargo Complex.

Two more workers died in Putrajaya Hospital while another died in Hospital Serdang.