PETALING JAYA: India’s request for a red notice against Zakir Naik has been taken up by an Interpol panel, amid India’s attempts to have the controversial preacher declared an international fugitive, Hindustan Times reports.
Quoting two officials who asked to remain anonymous, the report said the Commission for the Control of Interpol’s Files (CCF) met to discuss India’s request on April 19.
Citing a charge sheet filed against Naik in October 2017, a copy of which was also sent to Interpol, one of the officials said Interpol referred the red notice request to the CCF after that.
“We are positive that the CCF will recommend a global arrest warrant against Naik, which will restrict his movements,” the official added.
A red notice is used to inform Interpol member countries that the person on the list is wanted based on an arrest warrant or equivalent judicial decision issued by a country or an international tribunal.
An earlier red notice against Naik was cancelled in December 2017 as he had yet to be charged in India.
Interpol rejected the submission, saying it was “premature” and that India had jumped the gun.
The Islamic preacher faces charges of money laundering and hate speech in India, where authorities last year said he had been “promoting enmity and hatred between different religious groups in India through public speeches and lectures”.
His speeches were cited by Bangladesh as a reason for a 2016 attack in Dhaka which left 22 people dead.
Naik was given permanent residence status in Malaysia by the previous Barisan Nasional government.