Concerns cleared, IPCMC can be set up by year-end, says Muhyiddin

Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin.

PUTRAJAYA: The Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC) can finally be set up before the end of the year as the police are satisfied that all concerns have been cleared, said Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin.

He said he was previously informed that there were several matters that were incomprehensible and had caused concern, including questions about authority, right to appeal, disciplinary action and whether the police will lose their power.

However, he said the relevant parties attending the meeting with National Governance, Integrity and Anti-Corruption Centre (GIACC) director-general Abu Kassim Mohamed at Putrajaya last Friday were satisfied with the explanation given.

“Matters of concern raised by the police at all levels, including their associations, had been well explained and with the positive outcome, the setting up of the IPCMC will become a reality,” Muhyiddin told reporters after presenting the letter of appointment to new Deputy Inspector-General of Police Mazlan Mansor here today.

Muhyiddin said the drafting of the IPCMC bill had begun and was expected to be completed soon.

“We will be able to set up IPCMC before the end of this year because there are several Parliament meetings lined up this year that will enable the Bill to be tabled, debated and passed,” he said.

For the time being, he said the home ministry and the police would continue to study the IPCMC proposal before the Cabinet paper prepared by GIACC was presented to the Cabinet.

Asked whether IPCMC would comprise individuals without police background, he said: “We will have to decide later. The composition of IPCMC members will be made clear as we get along.”

In another development, Muhyiddin said he had not received details about the case involving 23 Rohingya girls who almost fell victim to a human trafficking syndicate in Malaysia.

A foreign media report claimed that Bangladesh police had rescued the 23 teenage girls after they were taken from the refugee camp at Cox’s Bazar to Dhaka before being transported to Malaysia by air.

The report, which quoted a police spokesman, said the girls aged between 15 and 19 were promised lucrative jobs in Malaysia but would possibly be forced to work as prostitutes.