KUALA LUMPUR: Police have detained eight men, one of them an Indonesian, and two women suspected of threatening a Selayang Municipal Council enforcement officer.
The eight men, aged between 22 and 57 years, were arrested at 2.45pm on Wednesday while the two women aged 19 and 46, were nabbed yesterday around Gombak.
They were believed to have been hired to attack the victim’s house because of action taken against an illegal landfill.
A police report was received on May 13 that the MPS officer’s house in Taman Muhibbah, Rawang, Selangor was splashed with red paint and that two vehicles belonging to the victim had been damaged.
Selangor Criminal Investigation Department chief Fadzil Ahmat said “a similar incident took place on April 28 when firecrackers were set off in a red paint barrel filled with nails, iron fillings and pieces of paper.”
Fadzil said the suspects were believed to have been hired to attack the victim’s house because the Selayang municipal council took stern action against an illegal landfill in Kampung Sungai Tua Batu Caves, Selangor.
Police were also looking for another man, Jafni Abdullah @ Mohd Yusoff, 47, nicknamed Man Puchong, for help in the investigations.
MPS Enforcement and Security Department director Norhahyati Ahmad, when met at her house in Rawang, said the threats received by her will not dampen her spirit in discharging her duties two months after she took up the post.
She said two police reports had been lodged at the Rawang Police Station. She assumed the threats received were serious, with certain motives, but did not know who was behind it.
“I have never received any threats before this, therefore what has happened has frightened me. It also affects my neighbours who are worried over their safety as well,” she said.
Following the incident, the security control at her residence has been enhanced with the fixing of four closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras, as well as patrols from the police and MPS enforcement officers.