PETALING JAYA: In what could be a test case, former Malaysian External Intelligence Organisation (MEIO) director-general Hasanah Abdul Hamid will this week challenge the warrant of arrest issued against her for not turning up for case management on Friday.
Kuala Lumpur High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah issued the warrant against Hasanah, who is facing criminal breach of trust (CBT) charges involving RM50.4 million.
Her counsel was in court.
“We are instructed to file a criminal application this week on behalf of Hasanah. We believe this matter would be canvassed for the first time in the High Court,” her lawyer, Shaharudin Ali, said in a statement today.
“The central issue is whether pre-trial case management is a ‘trial’ and whether there is power to issue the said warrant of arrest under the CPC (Criminal Procedure Code) in the first place.
“Further, (the application also seeks a decision on) whether the issuance of the warrant was justified under current law and in a situation where a massive amount of bail has been posted by Hasanah.”
Hasanah, 61, was allowed bail of RM500,000 in two sureties.
Shaharudin said a trial date had already been set by the High Court for Feb 3 next year and Hasanah was “ready and determined to attend court and fight the case when the trial starts”.