PETALING JAYA: The decision by the housing and local government ministry’s lawyer to withdraw from the inquest into the death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim followed a directive from higher up, FMT has learnt.
A source said Syazlin Mansor, the lawyer the ministry appointed to represent the fire department and Adib’s family, received a letter telling her to withdraw from the inquest.
It also said that the ministry was against the decision, saying “it wanted to ensure justice for Adib”.
“But they had no choice but to abide by the directive,” the source aded.
Syazlin has refused comment.
Earlier today, she announced her withdrawal as the inquest proceedings began its 37th day of hearing at the coroner’s court.
She told coroner Rofiah Mohamad that her withdrawal would render invalid the status of former forensic doctor Shahrom Abd Wahid, who is the 29th witness.
Shahrom and another forensic expert, Hospital Kuala Lumpur’s Dr Ahmad Hafizam Hasmi, who performed the post-mortem on Adib before his death on Dec 17 last year, had clashed over calculations on the force of impact of an emergency vehicle in causing Adib’s broken ribs.
Syazlin had been involved in a heated exchange with Hafizam during cross-examination on May 16.
Adib was part of a response team sent from the Subang Jaya fire and rescue station on Nov 27, 2018 to the Seafield Hindu temple following protests over the temple’s relocation which saw violence and damage to properties.