KOTA KINABALU: Police have begun looking for those responsible for an alleged citizenship drive using Warisan’s logo, saying 12 reports have been received on the matter so far.
“We are still investigating,” Sabah police chief Omar Mammah told reporters at the state police headquarters in Kepayan here today.
“An investigation paper has been opened.”
Warisan has denied involvement in the so-called citizenship drive, with its secretary-general Loretto Sipin Padua Jr blaming unknown individuals whom he said had used the party’s logo in Sabah’s east coast district of Lahad Datu.
He said the party had not appointed agents to register individuals who wanted to apply for MyKads as it was not Warisan’s job to do so.
This followed the circulation of pictures showing several men with forms bearing the Warisan logo.
Deputy Home Minister Azis Jamman said it could be the work of syndicates looking to cheat illegal immigrants by selling them fake forms.
“These syndicates are taking advantage of foreigners’ desperation to buy the forms at any price because they think they will be given legal documents to stay.
“I can confirm that there is no programme under the home ministry to register illegal immigrants through the National Registration Department or the Immigration Department,” he said.
Azis, who is also Warisan Youth chief, added that the party would lodge a police report on the matter.
Speaking today, Omar also confirmed that police have begun a probe into the disappearance of Grab driver Mohd Hanafiee Jaffar, who was reported missing by his girlfriend yesterday.
He said the police are trying to gather more information on the matter.
In her report, Hanafiee’s girlfriend said his car was found parked near a Ramadan bazaar in Indah Permai near here at 12.30am on May 26.
She said the car was locked, but that there were bloodstains on the steering wheel and handbrake, on the inside of the windscreen and on the front door.
She said she had been unable to reach Hanafiee by phone since May 24.