KOTA KINABALU: Addressing thousands of people who joined him for a buka puasa event at his first public appearance in his constituency since losing power last year, former Sabah chief minister Musa Aman said a series of court trials and his medical condition had prevented him from coming home earlier.
Speaking to an estimated 5,000 people at his residence in Kampung Sungai Kayu, Libaran yesterday, Musa also thanked his Sungai Sibuga constituents for their support despite his ongoing court cases, adding that they had “satisfied my longing”.
He added that he was touched by their attendance at the event.
“It was not on purpose that I had not come. There’s a reason.
“I had promised myself to come back during Ramadan to break fast with the people of Libaran and Sungai Sibuga, as I have done in the past,” he said to loud applause.
Also present was Libaran MP Zakaria Edris who switched camps to PPBM last March.
Musa has been keeping a low profile since the May 9 election last year, which saw the Warisan-led coalition replacing the Barisan Nasional (BN) state government in Sabah.
Musa is facing multiple charges of corruption and money laundering.
He again rejected claims that he was attempting to avoid arrest when he left for London to seek medical treatment, saying doctors had not allowed him to return to Malaysia.
Musa returned to Malaysia on Aug 21 last year and continued treatment at a private hospital in Subang Jaya.
He was initially sworn in as chief minister a day after the general election, after obtaining a simple majority, but his stint was short-lived when several BN assemblymen defected to Warisan.
He was officially sworn in as Sungai Sibuga assemblyman in September, almost four months after winning the seat.