Stop speculating on Chong Wei’s future, says Syed Saddiq

National badminton champion Lee Chong Wei is said to be mulling retirement before the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

SEPANG: Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman has urged the public to stop speculating on the future of national badminton champion Lee Chong Wei, who is said to be mulling retirement before the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

He said now was not the time to discuss the matter as Chong Wei himself was still keeping mum on his future after recovering from nose cancer which he had last year.

“We’ll wait first for a decision from him and give him ample space to decide because he has contributed a lot to the country,” Syed Saddiq said at the KL International Airport (KLIA) before welcoming back the national para archery squad from the Netherlands.

Also present were his deputy, Steven Sim Chee Keong, and National Sports Council (NSC) director-general Ahmad Shapawi Ismail.

The media had reported that Chong Wei was expected to announce his retirement next week after 19 years.

In a separate development, Syed Saddiq said the ministry had received many applications for the post of sports commissioner and would screen them to ensure only a qualified person would fill the post.

The post fell vacant after Zaiton Othman ended her service on March 8 after holding the post from Feb 1, 2015.

Syed Saddiq also said he supported a decision by the Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) today to set up a crisis management committee to tackle any internal crisis involving national sports associations.