Azmin thanks Dr M for standing by him in sex video affair

Dr Mahathir Mohamad says sex clips targetting Mohamed Azmin Ali are fake.

PETALING JAYA: Mohamed Azmin Ali has thanked Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad for his support as he battles accusations of sexual misconduct following the spread of several sex videos this week.

The economic affairs minister said the prime minister’s call to end “gutter politics” was critical as Pakatan Harapan has been entrusted by the people to govern “with clear principles and values”.

“So I hope that this warning and message (from the) prime minister is taken seriously,” he said.

Azmin was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a Raya open house hosted by Selangor state secretary Mohd Amin Ahmad Ahya in Shah Alam.

On Wednesday, PKR Santubong Youth chief Haziq Aziz shocked the nation with a 30-second video clip uploaded on Facebook, in which he said he was the person seen in several viral video clips showing two men performing homosexual acts, one of whom resembles a senior minister.

Haziq named Azmin as the other person in the video, a claim the PKR deputy president has denied and says is aimed at killing his political career. Azmin has also threatened to sue.

Azmin also got backing from Mahathir as well as senior PKR leaders, including party president Anwar Ibrahim.

Mahathir told reporters that the video clips were fake and that Haziq had a political agenda.

Azmin today, meanwhile, said he has not been called yet to give his statement on the spread of four gay sex videos.

Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador recently confirmed that an investigation paper had been opened on the matter. He did not rule out calling those who are said to be in the videos.

Azmin said his political secretary, Hilman Idham, had already given his statement on the matter to the police.

The Gombak MP also said he did not want to intervene in the arrest of Umno Supreme Council member Lokman Noor Adam last night. He was arrested for obstruction of justice.

Lokman had earlier given his statement to the police over the leaked videos. He was one of the first people who lodged a police report when the videos made the rounds on Tuesday.