No decision yet on revealing report on foreign workers, says ministry

The final report on foreign workers was expected to include suggestions for hiring as well as recommendations to prevent the disruption of workflow and ensure reasonable salaries and protection.

PETALING JAYA: The human resources ministry today denied claims that the Cabinet is opposed to making the report by an independent committee on streamlining policies on foreign workers available to the public.

In a short statement to FMT, it said no such decision had been made on the matter.

FMT previously reported a source as saying that the Cabinet had disagreed on making the report public at the moment.

The source said the report had recommended placing the recruitment of workers under the human resources ministry, while another source said the home ministry is resisting such efforts.

The Special Committee on Foreign Worker Management was formed on Aug 29 last year. Headed by former Court of Appeal judge Hishamuddin Yunus, it submitted its report at the end of February.

It was previously said that the final report would include suggestions for hiring foreign workers as well as recommendations to prevent the disruption of workflow, and ensure reasonable salaries and protection for foreign workers.

Several NGOs previously urged the government to be more transparent by making the report public after tabling it to the Cabinet.