KUALA LUMPUR: Police have contacted Mohamad Azmin Ali over the sex video implicating him, the economic affairs minister revealed.
However, Azmin said he would only be able to meet authorities tomorrow at “anytime convenient to them” as he was travelling to Penang for a programme today.
“I was informed by my office that they have contacted me,” he told reporters at a Hari Raya open house here today.
Yesterday, Astro Awani quoted Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador as saying that Azmin would be called over the controversial video, although no dates were given.
Police also released Haziq Aziz yesterday after he was detained overnight following his claim that he and Azmin were involved in homosexual acts, an allegation the PKR deputy president has strongly denied.
Haziq was arrested on Friday evening as he was about to fly to the Philippines.
Police are investigating the Santubong PKR Youth chief for various offences, including for carnal intercourse against the order of nature and distribution of obscene material.
On Wednesday, Haziq had admitted that he was one of two men filmed engaging in homosexual acts at a hotel in Sandakan last month.
The private secretary to Deputy Primary Industries Minister Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin said the videos, which he claimed were recorded without his permission, were taken on May 11 at the Four Points hotel during the recent by-election there.
Meanwhile, Azmin has called on the PKR leadership to explain how the video was circulated via WhatsApp groups and had reached branch chiefs and lower ranked office-bearers.
Azmin said he did not have access to such information.
“So the question now is, who provided this information and established WhatsApp groups nationwide? This warrants an explanation from the leadership.”
Azmin hoped that the PKR disciplinary board would investigate the matter “professionally and transparently”.
The Gombak MP said he had done his part “legally” by lodging a police report and one with the religious department.
“I will let the authorities conduct their investigation freely without any political interference,” he said, adding that he would not go on leave despite calls for him to do so, as he had done nothing wrong.