PETALING JAYA: The mother of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17’s co-pilot says she is happy to finally know the identities of the men who shot down the ill-fated aircraft nearly five years ago.
This came after prosecutors in Europe said they will charge three Russians and a Ukrainian for murdering the 298 passengers and crew on board the flight.
International warrants of arrest have been issued for the four men, Igor Girkin, Sergey Dubinskiy and Oleg Pulatov from Russia, and Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko. The trial will be held on March 9, 2020.
Speaking to FMT, Noriah Daud, the mother of co-pilot Ahmad Hakimi Hanapi Mohd Noor, said although the pain remains from losing her son, at least now there was hope that justice would be served.
“We have waited so long for answers, now we know who these terrorists are.
“Now, I hope the men can be arrested quickly so that the family members of all the victims get justice.”
On July 17, 2014, MH17 was shot down with a ground-to-air missile in conflict-torn eastern Ukraine as it flew from Amsterdam, Netherlands, to Kuala Lumpur.
The victims were from the Netherlands, Malaysia, Australia, Indonesia, Britain, Belgium, Germany, the Philippines, Canada and New Zealand.
Previously, the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) for the case, which comprises officials from the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium, Malaysia and Ukraine, said that Russia was responsible for downing the plane.