Task force members on Koh, Amri case to be revealed next week

Pastor Raymond Koh (left) and activist Amri Che Mat.

SERI KEMBANGAN: Members of the task force investigating the disappearances of Pastor Raymond Koh and activist Amri Che Mat will be announced next week.

Home Affairs Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said the task force will be given six months to prepare a report for the Cabinet.

“We have already agreed to set up a task force as recommended by Suhakam. I have already brought the matter to the Cabinet and it has been agreed.

“We will announce the names of the task force members later,” he said at a home ministry Hari Raya celebration today.

Previously, a Suhakam inquiry panel led by former commissioner Mah Weng Kwai, said the Special Branch at Bukit Aman was responsible for the “enforced disappearances” of Koh, who was kidnapped by a few men in February 2017.

Suhakam had also blamed the same department for the disappearance of Perlis-based activist Amri Che Mat in late 2016.

Former Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi had denied he instructed Bukit Aman to arrest the Perlis activist and the pastor.

The inspector-general of police at that time, Khalid Abu Bakar, also denied allegations that the police were involved in the disappearances.

Muhyiddin said the disappearance of Amri will be first on the agenda, as a person had already been charged in Koh’s disappearance and the case was still in court.

Koh was kidnapped in Kelana Jaya on Feb 13, 2017, while he was driving to his friend’s house.

A closed-circuit television (CCTV) recording revealed more than 10 men, wearing masks in seven vehicles, had blocked his car.

Amri was the founder of a charity called Perlis Hope. He disappeared on Nov 24, 2016.

His wife claimed five vehicles had blocked her husband’s car about 500m from their house near Bukit Chabang, Perlis.