Act against Umno for receiving RM212 mil from 1MDB, urges Syed Saddiq

PPBM Youth chief Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman.

PETALING JAYA: PPBM Youth chief Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman has called on the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to take stern action against Umno for receiving funds from the 1MDB investment arm.

He said this expose was shocking to Malaysians as they had been fooled by Umno for allegedly using funds from an investment fund, meant to build up the nation’s economy, for political interests.

“This is serious wrongdoing on the part of Umno,” he said in a statement.

MACC had announced that it has filed civil forfeiture applications against 41 individuals and entities to recover money allegedly transferred from the account of former prime minister Najib Razak.

MACC chief commissioner Latheefa Koya said the forfeitures, filed under Section 56 of the Anti-Money Laundering Act, are to recover RM270 million of 1MDB money transferred to Najib’s account and later to the individuals and entities.

At a press conference last Friday, she said the biggest recipients of the money were Umno divisions and branches, which received RM212 million.

She said MACC has recovered RM919 million to date in money from the 1MDB scandal.

Syed Saddiq said the PH Youth will be urging the Registrar of Societies (RoS) to take action against Umno.

“In the past, PPBM had to be dissolved by RoS at the very last minute before the 14th general election, due to technical reasons.

“PPBM wasn’t even allowed to use its party logo or name to contest in GE14. So, under the rule of law, RoS much take stern action against Umno for receiving the RM212 million, discovered by MACC.

“Harapan Youth also wishes to congratulate MACC for its swift action,” said Syed Saddiq.