Court strikes out contempt bid against Rafizi over NFC suit

PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli.

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court today struck out the leave application granted to the National Feedlot Corporation (NFCorp) and its chairman Salleh Ismail to initiate contempt proceedings against PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli.

The application for contempt proceedings was filed in July 2017 after a High Court ruled in favour of Salleh and NFCorp in their lawsuit against Rafizi.

It was alleged that Rafizi had breached the injunction order in the suit.

Rafizi’s lawyer Razlan Hadri Zulkifli said High Court judge Nik Hasmat Nik Mohamed set aside the order after the legal team informed her that Rafizi had won his appeal in the appellate court last month.

“The judge felt that there was no longer any basis for the contempt proceedings, and she set aside the order for Salleh to start them,” he told reporters after meeting Nik Hasmat in chambers.

The Court of Appeal had allowed Rafizi to challenge the High Court decision and ordered Salleh to refund the RM300,000 in damages and cost.

Lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, representing Salleh and NFCorp, said they had filed a leave application to appeal against the Court of Appeal decision on May 13.

The Federal Court set July 11 for mention of Salleh’s appeal.

Rafizi was found liable for defaming Salleh in 2016. The High Court ordered him to pay Salleh and NFCorp a total of RM300,000 in cost and damages.

Salleh alleged that Rafizi had uttered a defamatory statement on March 7, 2012 at a media conference at the PKR office on the purchase of KL Eco City properties which was published by Malaysiakini that same day.