Son’s drug case up to the courts, says Mat Sabu

SERI KEMBANGAN: Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu said he would leave it to the law to determine the outcome of his son’s court case on a drug abuse charge.

“Let the courts handle it,” he told reporters after attending an open house tonight.

He said he did not want to elaborate further as it was now under the courts.

On June 19, Bukit Aman confirmed that Mohamad’s 31-year-old son Ahmad Saiful Islam had been charged with consumption of drugs.

Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department acting director Kamarulzaman Mamat had said that Ahmad Saiful claimed trial to charge under the Dangerous Drugs Act for administering drugs, which carries a maximum fine of RM5,000 or a jail term of up to two years.

Saiful was arrested early this year, after testing positive for marijuana following a raid by police on entertainment outlets in Kuala Lumpur.

After the arrest, Mohamad confirmed that his son was involved and said all were equal in the eyes of the law.