4 feared dead in latest Penang landslide

Fire and Rescue and civil defence personnel carry out a search operation at the site of the landslide at Batu Ferringhi, Penang, on Tuesday night.

GEORGE TOWN: Three Myanmar nationals were killed and one was feared dead after a landslide struck a construction site on Tuesday night off the coastal road towards Batu Ferringhi.

It comes about eight months after the landslide in Paya Terubong, which killed nine people, and some 20 months after another incident in nearby Tanjung Bungah, which killed 11.

At just past midnight, three bodies had been recovered and the search for the other  worker was going on.

State Environment Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh said the work site is located near the Lost Paradise Resort on Jalan Batu Ferringhi (eastbound) at the border of Batu Ferringhi and Tanjung Bungah.

He said Fire and Rescue and civil defence teams were immediately mobilised for a search and rescue operation.

According to a Fire and Rescue Department statement, the landslide occurred when the workers were digging a drain at the construction site at about 9.20pm.

The landslide occurred when the workers were digging a drain at a resort.

Northeast police district chief Che Zaimani Che Awang said the resort owner had hired the four Myanmar workers last week to build a 2.1m retaining wall, after realising that the cliff separating the resort and Jalan Batu Ferringhi had suffered from erosion.

He said a gardener working nearby heard a loud noise and alerted the authorities.

Zaimani said the first body was recovered at 11.18pm, the second at 11.49pm and the third at 12.17am.

He said authorities were still trying to establish the identities of the four workers.

A landslide at nearby Tanjung Bungah in October 2017 claimed the lives of 11 workers, and in October last year, nine workers died in a landslide on a paired road project site at Bukit Kukus in Paya Terubong,