Govt yet to decide on making RCI report on mass graves public

(Bernama pic)

PUTRAJAYA: The government has not decided whether to make public a royal commission of inquiry (RCI) report into the discovery of mass graves in Wang Kelian.

Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin also said Putrajaya has yet to receive the report.

“Once the report is completed, we will scrutinise (it) and we will make a decision then,” he told reporters at a Hari Raya event hosted by the Immigration Department.

The RCI was concluded on June 18 after 17 days of hearing involving 48 witnesses.

Previously, RCI chairman Arifin Zakaria said it was up to Putrajaya to make the report public.

A total of 139 mass graves and 28 abandoned camps were discovered at Bukit Wang Burma in Wang Kelian, near the Malaysia-Thailand border in 2015.

Over 100 skeletal remains, believed to be those of Rohingya refugees, were found in the graves.

Meanwhile, Muhyiddin said the government will study a request by Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador to increase salaries of lower-ranked police officers.

Hamid had said that higher salaries for policemen would stop them from indulging in corrupt practices.