GEORGE TOWN: The Public Works Department (PWD) will repair a slope at the site of Tuesday’s deadly landslide to ensure that the road to Batu Ferringhi is safe to use.
One of two lanes of Jalan Batu Ferringhi near the landslide area has been closed for fear that the earth is unstable.
The PWD said it would take three to four weeks to repair the slope, which sits on the border of a federal road and private land housing a resort, where the landslide occurred, killing four Myanmar workers.
“The priority for the PWD is to ensure the safety of the road. Sheet piling will be placed to keep the collapsed portion intact and the road safe,” Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow told reporters at Komtar today.
Chow said the state government had instructed the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) to explore avenues for legal action against the land owner.
Earlier today, the council issued a notice to the land owner, urging him to hire an engineer and come up with repair plans for the slope. The council said the land owner had carried out the earthworks illegally.
The workers were building a retaining wall at the resort when the earth gave way, burying the four Myanmar nationals who had been working on the site for about a week.